Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Journal Entry While in Nicaragua




Special NEEDS Orphanage
We went to orphanage for special needs kids. As we walked in, I see this little boy with downs syndrom holding onto the bars in the door he was looking thru. (like a jail cell). Another looking out the bars in the window. Words can't describe the hopelessness in their eyes & the sickness I felt in my stomach. We asked the worker if she would unlock the door so we could hold them. She couldn't get the door open. 
I was physically getting sick. I sat down, Dawn the photographer sat down beside me I was weeping. This could be me or my kids. Dawn & I were both like We can't do this. Then we both agreed we had to. We tried to capture what we
saw in photos, but just couldn't. This was IN HUMANE! The way these kids were treated.
We walked down the hall & she got the door open to a room with 9 cribs in it. One of the girls mouth & legs were really deformed. Susan began talking to her...she began smiling as Susan rubbed her arm she began laughing. Several of the team began doing the same thing to other kids. The room that was filled with no hope...now was a room with laughter. Started by one voice & a few words.
I can't get this off my mind. I wake up in the night thinking of these kids. Praying & asking God how can I help?
Lord show us how to be THE VOICE FOR THESE KIDS....

No comments:

Post a Comment